Monday, July 30, 2012

Breakfast Nom


Happy Monday, Kitschies!  I hope you had a great weekend.  We didn't do much this weekend.  I got in a good skate Saturday morning, but other than that, we were kinda hermits...and that's ok.  School starts soon and I'm sure once it starts, there will be plenty to keep us busy.

When my family was here visiting, I went trolling Pinterest for some good recipes (you can follow me on Pinterest HERE).  I always find lots of great things on there and this recipe I'm sharing with you today is no exception.

French Toast Bake

1/2 cup melted butter (1 stick)
1 cup brown sugar
1 loaf Texas toast
4 eggs
1 1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
Powdered sugar for sprinkling
Melt butter in microwave & add brown sugar....stir till mixed.  Pour butter/sugar mix into bottom of 9 x 13 pan....spread around.  Beat eggs, milk, & vanilla. Lay single layer of Texas Toast in pan.  Spoon 1/2 of egg mixture on bread layer.  Add 2nd layer of Texas Toast.  Spoon on remaining egg mixture.  Cover & chill in fridge overnight.  Bake at 350 for 45 minutes (covered for the first 30 minutes).

Sprinkle with powdered sugar.  Serve with warm maple syrup (I don't do the syrup part).
NOTES:  This recipe can be doubled or halved.  I made a full recipe for 6 adults and it was just the right amount.  I half it for the 4 of us (2 adults, 2 kids).  The second time I made this, I made it up that morning and I couldn't tell the difference.
I was skeptical because you make it up ahead of time and put it in the fridge overnight.  Bread in egg overnight usually equals blech.  Not this time!  The top layer cooks up nice and toasted and the bottom, while soggy, is still delish!

My hubs doesn't do soggy bread but he eats this without trouble.  And trust me, you don't need syrup!  The brown sugar and butter on the bottom makes a great caramel sauce.

You should try this.  I've made a few recipes I've found on Pinterest but this one is definitely one of the best.

I'm going to try to post another Pinterest recipe later this week (along with some more nails, of course).

1 comment:

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

It was super delicious - and oh so rich!!