Monday, August 8, 2011

And It Goes Splat


Good Monday morning, Kitschies!  *yawn*  It's Monday again...already.  And I'm at work...sorta working.  The docs are gone for 3 days and I'm pacing myself on the work I have to do.  Nothing exciting - just working on EMR forms - but definitely not enough to keep me occupied for 3 days.  But sssshhhhhh!  Don't tel them that!

Saturday, the bestie and I went to see some Duke City Derby.  Holy crap that was awesome!  We haven't been out like that in soooo long AND the matches were so much fun!  So much so that I want to do it - I want to be one of those Roller Derby girls!  So. much.  But...I have a crappy knee and I really think all it would take is one good fall and I'd be out for the count.  Like, on the surgery table out.  I have a good brace, one that would probably keep me from injuring my knee more, but that brace was fitted when I weighed at least 50 pounds less.  GAWD I wanna do this but I don't see myself losing 50 pounds so I guess it's going to have to be one of those "when I was younger" dreams.

Anyway...I was going through my polish pix on Saturday and this mani screamed Roller Derby to me, so I'm sharing it with you today.

In early June, I saw this tutorial on The PolishAholic and I *had* to try it!  This was my first attempt at a splatter mani (my second attempt can be seen HERE) and though there were some spots I didn't like, I do like the overall result.

I started off with 2 coats of Zoya Raven.  If you click on the pic to make it bigger you can see there's a really pretty hidden sparkle in Raven.  It's more apparent in the bottle, but I'm not really complaining.  I did this mani in late June - I didn't think my nails grew fast but if this was only about 6 weeks ago, my nails have grown quite a bit! 

Then I splattered ChG Spontaneous (purple) and SH Xtreme Wear Blue Me Away (blue, duh) over Raven.  Love it!

It took a little practice but by the end, I had it down!  The pinkie finger looks kinda like a blue blob with some purple dribbled over it.  LOL

Here's my camera-shy right hand.  I really, really liked this mani.  The colors were great together!  But I can't take credit for the pairing: The PolishAholic posted her blue, black and purple splatter mani - that's the post that inspired me to try a splatter mani in the first place!

I want to thank everybody who voted for me in the Styled On DIY nail art contest.  Judging is today and they'll announce the winner on Wednesday...cross your fingers for me!

Enjoy your Monday!  I have some good recipes coming up soon, so be sure to keep an eye out for those yummies!

Listening to: Gone Forever by Three Days Grace
Mood: It's Monday

13 comments:

Unknown said...

I love it, the blue/black/purple is such a stunning combo!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

The color combination sounds like a bruise to me and that's what you would be if you did Roller Derby - lol!. Great mani. I will keep my fingers crossed for you :)

Michelle said...

I love it! You did a fantastic job, I really need to try this! :)

Myya said...

Hey I could totally do a splat... unless it's more technical then it looks LOL

Wendi_ThroatPunch said...

DOOOOOOOOD! This is AWESOME!!

Impulsive Addict said...

Sooooo cool! How do you splatter? I would be a mess Im sure! Lol!!

-Diana- said...

So great would love to try this sometime :)

KarenD said...

How fun! I keep meaning to try this but never seem to get around to it.

Tempera said...

Love this color combo. I want to try this soon. Am looking forward to more recipes.

Nail Nerd said...

Looooove splatter, this turned out really well -- the colors work great together!

nihrida said...

What a great splatter mani! It reminds me of the 80's.

GothamPolish said...

I love love love this combo :) It came out so great!

SilhouetteScreams said...

SO DAMN COOL. Just as cool as roller derby :D