Friday, September 9, 2011

You're FIRED!

TGIF, Kitschies!  I'm so excited it's the weekend!!  It was a short work week, but it still feels like it took forever to get through.  Got plans for the weekend?  We do!  Saturday is my bestie's oldest son's birfday and then Nate gets to go over there and spend the night (YES!).  When I drop Nate off, the bestie and I are going to derby practice (practice for me, watching for the preggo) and when I get home, the hubs and I are going to crack open a bottle of wine and veg.  I might have to come in to work on Sunday, but that won't be until after I get to sleep in (the hubs says he'll cover Mason).  I can't remember the last time I got to really sleep in!  We'll see if it actually happens...


A while back, I got a wild hair and asked my hubs what he wanted to see on my nails.  He said he wanted to see flames.  *sigh*  Flames?  Really?  I thought about it for a while and couldn't come up with an easy way to actually paint flames on my nails.  Instead, I thought I'd give sponging a gradient a try.  I've tried sponging before and it didn't turn out the way I wanted it to.  And it didn't really work this time, either, but I took pics so I could share my sorta fail with you.


I started by painting my nails with a couple coats of Sinful Colors Let's Meet (yellow), then I sponged SH Xtreme Wear Crushed (orange) from the middle of the nails to the tips.  And to finish it out, I sponged ChG Vertical Rush on the tips.  The colors are good, but the pattern isn't very gradient.


The lines between the colors aren't subtle enough for me.  I liked the concept, but I didn't like the end result.


It's even more obvious in indirect light.  I wore it like this for a few days, then I posted a question on FB for those in the know.  I got some good suggestions and decided to try it again.


This time, instead of starting with an all over base color, I started sponging the darkest color (red) at the tips.  Then I sponged the medium color (orange), overlapping the red and taking it to about the upper third of the nail.  Finally, I sponged the lightest color (yellow) at the nail bed and out to overlap the orange.  


I am much happier with the way the second try came out.  Maybe I won't fire my fire nails after all!  For added sparkle effect, I added Nailtini Spritzer on top.  Spritzer doesn't stand out too much, so it wasn't all glitter bling in your face, but I like the effect it had - kinda pulled it all together.


You can tell the lines aren't quite so bold this time.  I was pretty happy with this one once it was all said and done.  And the hubs?  He thought it was cool, but he was a little disappointed I didn't actually paint flames on my nails.  I told him he must think I'm a better artist than I really am.


Well...I'm off to lunch!  It's a quick trip to WalMart for me - OH BOY!  Enjoy the rest of your Friday and I hope you have a relaxing weekend.

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Such a great mani!!
I love it!
I'm going to spend the week end with my boyfriend ^^

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

The first attempt reminds me of candy corn - sorry. The second attempt is much better. I'm surprised hubs didn't go for something Star Wars or comic book related instead of flames. Talk to you this weekend :)

Ana said...

So, that's the secret!

I feel so lucky to have run into this post, it's going to be of great help.
Thank you :) !

Debra Hawkins said...

What a great manicure! Seriously awesome. I love the colors!

Nailderella said...

WELL done, it looks great!!

theartofnails said...

it looks great! :D

Unknown said...

I'm with your mom... the first go-round reminds me of candy corn - great for Halloween :). The second round looks fantastic, though!

The Peach said...

So I don't stop by your blog all that often for some reason (not sure why?) But I have to say, this mani is AMAZING! Great job on it!

Alex said...

I have the same problem!! My first gradient was a complete fail. Your second attempt looks amazing though!!! I am going to try out roller derby too. I hope you don't have to go into work on Sunday!

Xoxox

Erica said...

I see others agree with my first thought....candy corn. That would be cool at Halloween. All in all, I love the final product!

SilhouetteScreams said...

It reminds me of an ice block/popsicle! Nom

Silence is Loud said...

this reminds me of a popsicles too!! i like the second effect because now it reminds me of sunset! double effect! so pretty! <3

Nail Nerd said...

Totally want to eat your nails, is that weird?! :D Hope you and the gang are having a wonderful weekend!

Tempera said...

I thought of rainbow sherbert even if the colors for that are not quite right. Still made me think of it. Reading popsicle makes sense also.

Impulsive Addict said...

OMG! That is so stinkin' cool! LOVE IT!

None of my trips to Hellmart could be described as quick. Ugh.

KarenD said...

Thanks for showing us both versions--very instrutive! I've yet to try a sponge gradient.