Thursday, August 12, 2010

Are you chicken?

I can not get motivated this afternoon.  Good thing it's Thursday because I don't know that I'd be able to make myself come in to work more than one more day this week.  I hate days like this.

Despite the blah I'm in this afternoon, I do have a good recipe for you.  I found this while trolling one of my favorite online recipe sites: Allrecipes.  I like that you can type in an ingredient and they'll give you a bunch of recipes based on that one ingredient.  You can also narrow it down by cooking method (BBQ, baked, steamed, etc) or type of food (breakfast, dessert, etc).

Korean BBQ Chicken Marinade

1 cup white sugar
1 cup soy sauce
1 cup water
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp ground ginger
1 Tbsp lemon juice (optional)
4 tsp hot chile paste (optional)

In a medium saucepan over high heat, whisk together the sugar, soy sauce, water, onion powder, and ground ginger. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 5 minutes. 

Remove the mixture from heat, cool, and whisk in lemon juice and hot chile paste. Place chicken in the mixture. Cover, and marinate in the refrigerator at least 4 hours before preparing chicken as desired. 

NOTES:  Even though the lemon juice and chile paste were optional, I added them anyway.  I marinated the chicken for the whole day.

This is SOOO good!  And it's even delicious cold the next day.  I made this last week and we're already having it again for dinner tonight. 



Hmmmm...after reading the recipe, I realize that I didn't do all of it.  Let me rephrase that.  I added all the ingredients, I just didn't boil/simmer them all together.  I hope it comes out as good as it did the first time.  We're having it in salad with mandarin oranges so the flavor probably won't be quite as important, but I'll let you know either way.


Enjoy!!  Please let me know if you try any of my recipes and what you thought.  If there's a certain type of recipe you're looking for but don't want to try it yourself, let me know and maybe I'll try it out for you first.  I'm always open to new recipes!!  


I know this is a little off subject, but does anybody watch Project Runway?  I missed last season but I'm back in to the show full-force.  In the words of Tim Gunn: Make it work!


Listening to: Why Should I Cry For You by Sting
Mood: It's Thursday

8 comments:

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Looks tasty but Dad doesn't seem to like things made where soy sauce is one of the main ingredients. We did have the balsalmic pork last night - delish!!

shortmama said...

Yum, I love using cold chicken the next day, so good!

Megan Harmeyer said...

@ Linda - this one has enough sugar and water with other ingredients that he might not mind. And if you don't tell him, he won't know, right? LOL

@ Amanda - This one is perfect for that!

PaintAwayGirls! said...

Hey Megan :)
I love your blog so that's why I tagged you in my Sweet Blog award's!
You can see the post here: http://paintawaygirls.blogspot.com/2010/08/sweet-friend-award.html
Thanks :Dxoxo

makeupthoughts said...

Hi

New follower here...you have a lovely blog...you can find me at makeupthoughts.blogspot.com

Dee

Wendi_ThroatPunch said...

OH looks delicious! ME, I luvz soy sauce.

Julissa said...

om nom nom.I'mahave to try one of your recipes. :D

Myya said...

I LOVE me some Project Runway! Haven't decided who I like best yet this year, but I've got a few favorites. :)