Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Workout Wednesday - Part 2


Happy Wednesday, Kitschies!  I hope this day finds you well.  I'm kinda...meh...today.  What's meh?  Meh is where you don't feel great, but you don't feel bad, so you're just...meh.  I think it's just that it's Wednesday.  Or it could be that I was taken a little out of my normal routine this morning because the hubs had to be at work early so I had to take the kids to grandma's house - in his car.  I used to jump at the chance to drive the hubs' car, but now that I have a better, nicer car, I'd rather be in mine.  It's funny how the littlest things can throw you out of your routine.

So, today is day 10 of the 30-Day Shred.  It's supposed to be day 11, but I took Sunday off.  I just was not feeling like working out on Sunday.  I got right back with the program on Monday, so a day off doesn't kill me.  I'll just adjust it to the 31-Day Shred.  LOL  The workouts are still pretty difficult for me.  I'm pretty out of shape (wait, round is a shape), so I'm still working on my endurance.  I'm dripping sweat by the end of the workout and that's a good thing, or at least that's what I keep telling myself.  I'm not as sore as I was at first, but I can still feel it in my legs if I have to squat down for something.  I do enjoy the workout, but it's a struggle to get to that point.  When I get home and the kids are *finally* in bed, all I want to do is crawl in to bed or veg on the couch.  But - I make myself get up and get the workout done.  It's ONLY 20 minutes and I know I'll feel better afterward, but still...it's a struggle.



And to augment my weight/fat loss, I'm lucky enough to work for a group of physicians who prize health as a whole.  We offer a physician-assisted suicide program weight/fat loss program.  The company is Cornerstone Wellness - the program was designed by a physician (who happens to be friends with one of the docs I work with) who comes in and trains the staff who in turn train the patients.  This program is so interactive - there's no way you can fully participate in this program and NOT lose weight/fat.  Here's the gist of it: a protein shake with milk and some fruit in the morning; a protein shake, a little bit of lean protein and some fruit for lunch, some high protein/high fiber snacks mid-morning and afternoon and a "sensible" dinner (lean protein, low-ish carbs, fruit and veggies).  Along with this program is a fully interactive database where you enter what you eat so you can track exactly what you're putting in your face.  It gives you a daily goal of calories and breaks it down in to fat, carbs, fiber, etc.  Check out THIS PAGE to get a better description of the meal planning part of the plan.  You also can track the amount of exercise - you pick from an expansive list of exercises and plug in the amount of time and it gives you the approximate number of calories burned.   In addition to all the work the patient does, you get your BMI tested every 2 weeks for two visits then once a month to check progress.  I'm due to have mine tested next week.  This is what I like the best.  Why?  Because I've been really sticking to this diet for the last week and doing The Shred and I haven't lost more than a half a pound.  Seriously.  I know - muscle weighs more than fat - but it would be nice to see that number on the scale go down, too.  I know you know what I mean!  I know it's not just about the number on the scale, and now that I've been with this program for 10 days, I do notice that my tummy is going down and my legs are starting to tighten up.  I'll be measuring this weekend I'll post my progress in next week's Workout Wednesday. 

And now I'm linking up with A Family of Shorts and her Journey From Muffin Top to Skinny Jeans.

weightloss


I "met" Ms Amanda through my first online swap.  She has a great blog that centers around family and the daily ins and outs of holding it all together.  This week's JFMT topic is: Support.

Pretty much everything is better with support.  Why should weight loss/exercise be any different?  My hubs is my biggest supporter through this.  He tells me he notices "improvements" and encourages me to keep it up.  My bestie, Wendi, just jumped on the Shreddin bandwagon last night, so I know I can go to her when I need a little shove encouragement.  And then there's Miss B - she's been doing The Shred for a couple weeks now and she's kickin' butt!  I don't actually talk to her, but I get little pump ups from her via email.  I also have my coworker, Loretta, who has done The Shred with me before and tells me when I look good or that she notices an improvement.  And last, but not least, my Mom.  She lives 800 miles away, but through the words of encouragement in comments on my blog and weekly weekend phone conversations, she is supportive of me, too.  So often, people view weight loss as a solo challenge.  Though you are the one who's actually doing the work, it's always nice to hear a compliment or feel a pat on the back.  If you know somebody who is working on something for their betterment, pat them on the back and tell them GOOD JOB!!

Now...I'm headed to Sally's to see if I can break my August no-buy.  Wish me luck!

Listening to: The Script by Breakeven
Mood: meh

7 comments:

Danielle said...

It's great that you are sticking with it. Ever since I was in my teens i have always gotten that urge to "get fit" and "tone up", i was never overweight or anything, but i guess peer pressure. The thing is i love to eat and am very lazy lol. usually I stick to a routine for a month or so and then get bored and give up.

This year I did something simple and stuck with it for almost 3 months now. Just walking, any chance i have I walk, to the father bus stop, on my vacation i took 45 min walks along the beach. I believe I started in may or june, I was 136, the last time I weighed myself I was 124! I haven't been that weight since high school, so it feels great, all thanks to walking and eating better .... on most days anyways lol

good luck on your journey, i can't wait to see your results!

Jen said...

OMG! I didn't know you were doing the 30DS!! I started doing it, but sadly I never made it past L1D5. I was all gung-ho in the beginning and then, well....you know how it goes! My fiance and I are doing the Couch to 5k program right now! Hopefully I'll see through it to the end, but unfortunately I'm an aries...and we're known for starting projects and never finishing them :\ I'm going to try really hard though!
How was L2? I heard it suuuuucks! LOL

shortmama said...

Im going to restart the Shred next week I think. I started it before and made it to day 2 and told Jillian bye bye. I have so much weight to lose and it was so hard that I was sore to have to sit on the toilet...nice image I know. But if I can only make it the first 5 minutes its better than nothing and eventually I will be able to do it!

Megan Harmeyer said...

@ Danielle - WTG!! See - it just goes to show you that if you get off your butt, things can happen. Keep it up!

@ Jen - Well, tonight's workout will be L1D10 and then tomorrow will be L2D1 - yikes! Level 2 was hard, but level 3 is killer!! I'm sure you'll all get to hear about how much I love/hate level 2 in next week's installment.

@ Amanda - DO IT!! LOL I know; easier said than done. The first time I did the shred, my coworker and I limped around the office for DAYS after each new level. It's not been so bad this time around. 5 minutes is definitely better than nothing and if you stick with it, it gets easier. Really.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

I know you can do it! If you did it once, you will do it this time too! Too bad you can't Nate involved so he could burn off energy while you burn off calories!

Libby's Pink Vanity said...

Good job, Megan. 30DS is not an easy program!

I went to Sally's today too. Luckily, I didn't put a-hurtin' on myself. Nothing new for me. But went ahead and got 'For Audrey.'

Megan Harmeyer said...

@ Linda - I got him to exercise with me tonight for a little while. He got frustrated because it was harder than I think he thought it was going to be.

@ Kimberly - I was really hoping that I'd find the Orly Cosmic FX, but all they had was the Plastix. I still ended up getting ChG Strawberry Fields and Foxy (from Vintage Vixen collection). The clerk hadn't even heard of the new Orly collection - he showed me the gold and silver foils. Booo!!!