Monday, June 27, 2011

Hot Enough For Ya?

Happy Monday, Kitschies.  Well, as happy as a Monday can be.  Anyway...it was a hot one here in New Mexico over the weekend.  We don't usually reach over 100* but for the last 3 or 4 days, it's been HOT!  At least it's a dry heat.  And I mean that in all seriousness - because it really does make a difference.  Saturday evening we went to a graduation party - outside.  Sunday I took the boys to a play place inside one of the malls because they needed to get out of the house and it's too hot to sit and watch them at the park.  The best and her kids joined us for both occasions which made them both a bit more bearable.

Since it's nice and hot out lately, I thought I'd share a delish spicy recipe with you today.  I found this on Food Network (courtesy Rachel Ray) while looking for a new spicy chicken recipe to try.  The amount of heat this dish has is variable depending on your taste.


Spicy Thai Chicken

2 cups jasmine rice, prepared to directions on the package
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 tablespoon (1 turn around the pan) wok or light colored oil
1 tablespoon hot chile oil
1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 small to medium onion, thinly sliced
2 red bell peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons (2 turns around the pan in thin stream or 2 splashes) fish sauce
20 leaves fresh sweet basil, torn

Place rice on the stove top to cook.

Cut chicken on an angle across the breast into thin strips. Cut strips across into bite size pieces. Set chicken aside. Wash hands and cutting board.

When the rice is 6 or 7 minutes away from being done, begin your stir fry.

Heat a wok, wok shaped skillet, or large nonstick skillet over high heat. When the pan smokes, add wok or light cooking oil, and hot chile oil. Sprinkle in crushed pepper flakes. Add chicken and stir fry 2 minutes. Add onions, red bell peppers, and garlic and stir-fry for 1 or 2 more minutes. Add fish sauce. Remove the pan from heat and add basil. Toss chicken dish until basil wilts.

Serve chicken and peppers with prepared rice, salad with peanut dressing.

NOTES:  I found this to take longer than the 6 or 7 minutes as this suggests.  You can add more or less of the hot chile oil depending on how spicy or how mild you prefer your food.  I like it HOT!


I think I'm going to have to make this recipe again sometime soon.  It was pretty easy to make and the hubs and I liked it.  We spared the boys and made them chicken because I think this would've been just a bit too spicy for their little mouths.

Just an FYI...I'm putting together some things for a giveaway very soon.  It's going to have two parts: something for the foodies and something for the beauties.  Hope you survive your Monday!  Check back often for my Super Summer Giveaway!

2 comments:

Recalcitrant Nails said...

that looks awesome - and hot food in summer = sweating. Woot woot!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

I'm surprised you like it since it has fish sauce in it - lol! Sounds like one I need to try. Thanks for the recipe. I hope you cool off soon.