Thursday, October 27, 2011

Fade to Black

Good morning, Kitschies.  It's a dreary, cold Thursday over here in my neck of the woods.  You know the kind of day...a day where all you want to do is hide under the covers with a good book or a warm body and lay there...all...day.  I'm flying solo today here at work, so it's probably going to be a short post.

To sort of reflect that dreariness outside today, I have an equally dreary (color-wise) mani to share with you today.  But first, a little explanation as to the inspiration for this one.  I was in a mood to do a sponge gradient so I sat down with a bunch of colors and turned on Douche Bagans and the crew of Ghost Adventures.  Say what you will about ghost hunting shows (yes, I know, most of that shite can be disproved, but whatev), but they're good to have playing in the background when I'm doing stuff like doing my nails and want to have background noise.  Anyway...they were doing a lot of work with black and white video and then it came to me.  Black to white gradient!

After getting the bugs out with my You're Fired! sponging gradient, I had a better idea of what to do with this one.  I started at the tips with Zoya Raven then sponged ChG Recycle and finished with SH White On.

To finish it off and maybe make it a bit more mystical (yeah, right), I added a layer of ChG Fairy Dust for a little sparkle.

The faded effect didn't turn out as strong as I'd have liked, but I still like the end result.  Have you tried a sponge gradient before?  What colors do you go to first?  Any tips for a beginner sponger like myself?

Alright.  I must get to gettin'.  It's shaping up to be a busy-ish day here at the clinic - but nothing that I can't handle.  Me strong like bull.

6 comments:

Danielle said...

looks good, love the fade from black to white :) the glitter adds that little something special

Unknown said...

I love gradients!!
This one is so lovely!

Jenprewitt said...

very nice! I might do something similar to it. I find it works best to do the base as the lightest color, or if your lightest color is too sheer, do it over white. i did a sponging recently of yellow, orange, pink and purple and did them over white. They turned out EXCELLENT! I can link you to my blog post if you'd like.

nail crazy said...

great looking gradient, love it :-D

Unknown said...

This looks really good :) Never tried sponge gradient, but this definitely makes me want to do some !

Myya said...

Oooooohhhh I like I like! :)