Monday, January 23, 2012

I Got Purple-itis

Good morning, Kitschies! We tried to take the boys to the snow play area on Sunday but that was a big fail.  The snow area was closed for "unsafe conditions" - I don't exactly know what that means but I'm assuming that meant don't go sledding unless you want to run in to big, hard rocks.  And seeing as I've sledded in to my share of hard, inanimate objects, we chose to sled at another place.  It was cold and windy and we didn't have much fun, but Nate *did* enjoy himself for the little time we were out.

Every week, Polish-aholics Annonymous on FB runs a challenge.  I've been participating in the challenges, but I haven't done a corresponding blog post about any of them...until now.  Today's challenge was ombre/gradient nails.  In case you don't know, ombre means having colors or tones that shade into each other —used especially of fabrics in which the color is graduated from light to dark.  Don't worry...I didn't know the exact meaning, either.  Yay!  We learned something today.  You can go back to bed now. :) 

On to the pics, shall we?


I initially tried a white to black gradient, but it didn't turn out so well.  I had to hand mix two shades and it just didn't work.  So, I went back to my Helmer and dug around a bit - and viola!  Here's my purple gradient nails!

In the previous picture, the index and middle fingers look pretty similar, but IRL and in more natural light, they're not quite as close in color.

You can see here that while they're similar, they are not the same.  IRL, Mira looks to dry a bit darker than what you can see in the bottle.  But in all the pics I took to compare the nail to the bottle, they look identical.  Strange.

This is the first ombre mani I've done and I like it enough.  I just don't care to wear a different color on each nail.  It kinda drives me crazy even though I like the effect.

Here's what I used.  If you click on the pic you can read the color names better.

Pinky

Ring

Middle

Index

I didn't get a good bottle/thumb pic, so check out this swatch HERE for a good representation of the color. 

So...there ya go!  What color(s) would you have used if you had done an ombre mani?

7 comments:

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

I like all the colors but I think having each nail a different color would drive me a little nuts.

Debra Hawkins said...

I LOVE the gradient!

GothamPolish said...

I love the gradient look, but have always found it difficult to find colors that work... I usually go with greys lol. But your purples are perfect!

Danielle said...

love this! always wanted to try an ombre mani. The colours you chose worked perfect.

Nail Nerd said...

Just when I thought I had enough purple polishes you go and post this... :)

Emmy said...

How fun is that! You should get on pinterest- I have a friend that has a nails board and you could pin a lot of your nails and get more traffic :)

Unknown said...

I am in love with this mani! I want to do it myself, Mira is my all-time favorite nail polish, I wore it continuously all summer, just switched it up with sparkles, tips, etc!
XoXo