Thursday, July 29, 2010

Challenge Accepted - Part 7

Meh.  It's Thursday.  I've got some wierd anxiety thing going on today.  It's not horrible - just annoying.  And the fact that it's annoying me probably isn't helping.  LOL 

Today I bring you my submission to PHD's weekly challenge: Vampire.  The directions are to create a manicure sutible for a vampire.  Unlike the last challenge (you can link to it HERE), I knew what I wanted to do pretty much right away.  And I didn't have to go out and get anything new for colors (even though I did - but that's a story I'll share in a moment).  I had Monday off, so I got to it that afternoon.

I am still wearing this today and it's Thursday!!  I know I say this about most of my entries, but I really like this one.  Red is my favorite color and I love the way the black came out.  This one actually translated pretty much the same as it was in my head.  And it was pretty easy to do, too.  Just a little time consuming with the clean up because we all know what a PIA black can be! 

Here's what I used.  Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Black Out and Finger Paints Primary Color.  Here's the little story.  My bestie sent me a text Sunday afternoon telling me I *had* to get Black Out because it was the BEST black she's ever used.  Seriously?  And, of course, I needed black for this mani, so while out shopping on my day off, I picked it up.  Previously my go-to black was Pure Ice Black Rage but I wasn't happy at how fast it chipped.  Good thing I listened to my bestie because this is a great black creme.  There's nothing super special about it, but the formula is good and it has that wider brush that all SHs have now.  AND - I haven't had any chipping...with 3 days of wear.  There's a little tip wear, but that's to be expected with all I do with my hands during the day.  Primary Color is an orange-based red.  I usually go for blue-based red but I like this one.  It's bright and well pigmented.  I could've gotten away with one coat if I were careful about application.  It's been kinda hit and miss with FP formula, but this one wasn't too thick nor too thin.  Good stuff.

If you don't know or haven't tried a chevron tip, it's really quite easy.  This is the first time I've tried it and I was surprised it came out so good.  Paint your entire nail with the base color - let dry.  Take your second color and starting about 2/3 to a 1/3 down the nail on the side, drag the brush up in a diagonal line to the top edge of the nail.  Repeat on the other side.  Simple as that!

Just a little close up.  You can see where I needed to do clean up around the black near the skin of the finger.  It took forever to get this all cleaned up and it wasn't until I washed my hands quite a few times that all the black finally came off.  I had black polish on the skin next to the nail and some even bled to under the nail.  Not looking forward to getting it all removed tonight because I'm really wanting to do a lighter look tonight. 

We're having game night with the bestie and her hubs (who just happens to be the bestie to my hubs) on Saturday.  I'm making a new dessert for the occasion.  If it's any good, I'll post it next week.  Cross your fingers!

Listening to: Waking Up by 10 Years
Mood: anxious

12 comments:

Danielle said...

oooh, I really like this, I think is is my fave of yours so far :)

Robyn said...

I could never do that so neatly! Love this mani, very sexy!

Mamarazzi said...

wow. like seriously. i am super impressed that you can paint your own nails like that. for realsies. i mess up my lame little clear coat i use just to keep my nails from splitting.

AggiePigeon said...

this is very nice and looks superb!

Libby's Pink Vanity said...

Ah, you gave me a couple of good tips here. I was looking through my stash for a black, just black, polish. I don't have one!!!! So I'll get 'Black Out' now.

And this look is HOT! I immediately thought it was a vampire look. Did anyone at work mention your nails...lol! I don't think you are a phlebotomist, but could you imagine one coming in to take your blood sporting these nails! lol!!!!

Just a really super cool look, girlie.

Megan Harmeyer said...

@ Danielle - Thanks! It's definitely in my top 5.

@ Robyn - Sexy...that's a perfect description! You never know til you try! This was my 1st time trying this.

@ Mamarazzi - It takes some patience, but good things come to those who have some. LOL I usually don't, but in this case, I try *really* hard.

@ Aggie - Thanks. :)

@ Kimberly - I got lots of compliments from people/patients at work. I'm a medical assistant, but if I had somebody come to draw my blood with nails like this, I'd laugh. LOL

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

I'm starting to think that you are in the wrong profession. (Just kidding, of course). Your nails are beautiful!

SilhouetteScreams said...

This is HOT. :D I can totally see Pam or Lorena from True Blood wearing it

shortmama said...

I just cant imagine trying to do that...I couldnt even do it to someone else nails let alone my own. And the fact that I bite my nails doenst help

Megan Harmeyer said...

@ Linda - If I did this for a living, I don't think I'd enjoy it as much.

@ SS - I'm a season behind on True Blood. :( Gonna have to put that to the top of the Netflix list. Thanks for reminding me!

@ Shortmama - Awww. I used to bite my nails, too. Keeping them polished really helps me.

Recalcitrant Nails said...

I love this mani challenge. I love all your entries actually. :) I looked at that challenge and I've been so sick I just didn't have it in me cuz I would have liked to do it. Yours is fabulous!

Wendi_ThroatPunch said...

SO beautiful and shiny...