Thursday, July 15, 2010

I'm a Dark Faerie!

It's Thursday, dear Kitschies! I hope you're plugging through your week and can see the light at the end of the tunnel that is Friday. The weather is super craptastic here today - it's already 80*+ and it's not even 10 AM yet. Humidity is at 37% and that's high for Albuquerque. It's cloudy. It's hot. It's humid. It's yuck!!

Once upon a time, my bestie, Wendi from Makeup Zombie, told me that she was looking for people to do submissions for a Dark Faerie theme/series. Makeup, nails, food, whathaveyou. I started thinking about it right away, but I came to a sort of road block. She's gotten some great entries and I wanted to live up to the quality of previous submissions. I started playing around with ideas one day. I did a test nail and though I really liked it, it was missing something *and* I didn't think I'd like such dark colors as a full mani (I don't do swatches, so I had to be willing to commit to a mani for at least a day). Then I went to Sally's and found ChG Fairy Dust and swiped that over my test nail. Of course!! Glitter makes everything better, so why was I surprised when I found this? And holo glitter to boot! Perfect. I filed the idea back in to the deep recesses of my brain and focused on other manis and challenges. A few challenges later, Ms W bugged me enough and I finally got her Dark Faerie look finished. And the finished look? I LOVE IT!!



Here's what I used. Zoya Ibiza and Zoya Yasmeen, Stripe Rite in silver glitter and ChG Fairy Dust. After prepping each nail with a French tip sticker, I painted below the sticker with 2 coats Ibiza. After removing the sticker, I applied 2 coats of Yasmeen. Once that dried, I painted a thin stripe of silver glitter between the two colors. Once *that* dried, I did a thin coat of Fairy Dust to top it off. This mani was rather time consuming, but I'm really pleased with the end results.



Ibiza is a beautiful, deep, inky blue. It's like when a blue ink pen explodes or leaves little glops of ink - this is the color when that ink dries. It looks almost black when not in direct light, but when the blue shows, it's so pretty. Yasmeen is a gorgeous, deep, royal purple. This was the perfect complement to inky Ibiza.



It's hard to catch the awesomeness that is ChG Fairy Dust. It's tiny holo glitter particles in a clear jelly base. The formula is a little on the thick side and I don't know if it's because it's a jelly or because it's so freakin hot out. Either way, this looked so good over top the 2 colors. If you click on the picture, you can see the holo colors in the bottle better.



STILL not a good representation of the holo. Those little boogers are a pain to capture. I guess you'll just have to trust me that it looked good. LOL I loved this mani so much that I wore it for 3 entire days. This is the first time I've worn one mani for so long since I started this whole polish addiction thing. There were 2 reasons I had to take it off. 1) I had some minor chipping on 1 nail and if it hadn't been such dark colors, I probably would've left it. This speaks volumes for Zoya, my new favorite polish brand. 2) I had another challenge to do! THIS IS A LINK to my post on Makeup Zombie. So, a BIG thank you to Mistress Wendi! I love this mani and I probably wouldn't have ever thought of it if you hadn't come up with your Dark Faerie series. YOU ROCK!!!!

Listening to: Strawberry Swing by Coldplay
Mood: *sigh*

11 comments:

Robyn said...

Omg, those polishes are be-a-utiful! And what a perfect CG polish to use for this!

ABOP said...

Marvelous combination. I love that it's dark but still fun.

sonidlo said...

Great idea!

Stiletto said...

GORGEOUS!
All of my favorite things!
blue, purple, glitter and holo!!!

Lacquer Ware for Tips and Toes said...

I saw this over at MakeupZombie's blog. Awesome interpretation!

Liz (iceomaticsnails.blogspot.com) said...

OOO!!! I love this! Sorry about the humidity. I can't handle it either!

shortmama said...

So pretty! Love it!

R3Beauty said...

WOW! AMAZING!!!!

Megan Harmeyer said...

Thanks for all the great response, ladies!! I was really happy with this one and a little disappointed that I "had" to change it.

ANSTAH said...

Megan, this is SO awesome!! I love the color combination!

Kimberly said...

You rock these, young lady!!! Showing a bit of your wicked side, eh? ;)