Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Better the Mind but Not the Body?

Good Tuesday morning, Kitschies!  I hope you enjoyed your Valentine's Day - I know I did!!  The hubs and I really enjoyed our day off together.  We don't get many of those, but when we get the chance, we take it.  I mentioned before that I don't usually make resolutions, but I was making a *goal* to better myself (mind, body and spirit) this year.  I took the first step to one of those this morning (mind): I took my placement test for CNM.  I rocked the reading and English portions but totally bombed the math (no big surprise there).  The Summer session starts at the end of May, so I have a little bit of time to organize things before I get back in to the swing of school.  I can't wait!

I know I said I was going to try to post more healthy or good-for-you recipes on my blog this year (better the body, remember?), and I have for the most part.  But, there are times when life calls for something that's not good for you.  Sometimes you need something to satisfy your sweet tooth more than you need to meet your daily required nutrition.  Ever have days like that?  A few weeks back I got a BIG bag of dried cranberries and I've been eyeing recipes to incorporate the crannies.  This is one of the first recipes I saw and I'm glad I tried it because they're GOOD!

Oatmeal Cranberry White Chocolate Chunk Cookies


2/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 6-ounce package Ocean Spray® Craisins® Original Dried Cranberries
2/3 cup white chocolate chunks or chips
Preheat oven to 375ºF.

Using an electric mixer, beat butter or margarine and sugar together in a medium mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs, mixing well. Combine oats, flour, baking soda and salt in a separate mixing bowl. Add to butter mixture in several additions, mixing well after each addition. Stir in dried cranberries and white chocolate chunks.

Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack.

Makes approximately 2 1/2 dozen cookies.
NOTES:  I used my Silpat silicone baking mat and the cookies did not stick at all (even though it says to cook on ungreased cookie sheet).


I loved these cookies because they're sweet without being too sweet.  And I love dried cranberries.  Add the white choco chips in there and it's pretty much awesome!


NOM!  I still have more dried cranberries and more white choco chips at home...maybe I'll whip up another batch tonight.

Pretty short post, huh?  Remember to enter my giveaway!  You have until midnight tomorrow to enter.  And please vote in my poll (in the upper right corner). 

Well, I'm off to have lunch with one of my friends (we don't see much of each other, but when we do, it's a nonstop gab fest!).

12 comments:

Gina (Prim and Polished) said...

Yummy! I will have to try these cookies, they sound great.

Glad you enjoyed V-day!

Danielle said...

Mmmm, these look so good :) I made my boyfriend a huge heart chocolate chip oatmeal cookie, he loved it!

Debra Hawkins said...

Those look delicious! We LOVE cranberries in our house!

Robyn said...

Oh my lord, I will have to try these, they look scrummy! I love oaty cookies! I hope I can get the craisins!

Unknown said...

Yum. I don't like the dried cranberries plain but I *love* them in cookies. My mom bought a tub of cookie dough once that was lemon cranberry -- I've been craving those lately, but I haven't had much luck with recipes. Any ideas?

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

I think I just might have to try that recipe. Guess I need to pick up some oat and white choco chips tonight when we go shopping.

Recalcitrant Nails said...

So cool you are rocking your life forward. The cookies look nummy. :)

AmyGrace said...

That looks delish! *drools*

Myya said...

Good job on the test, well other then the math part. I'm sure you'll rock it next time!
Those cookies look SOOO good!

Mamarazzi said...

do you need my address? these look sturdy enough to send.

yay for days off with the hubz AND lunch with friends.

lucky you!

nail crazy said...

hmmmmm... looks so delicious!!!

Lindsey said...

mmmmm...I want cookies now!