Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Slow Cooker = Comfort Food

Happy Tuesday!  I have an unexpected day at home and I'm going to do what I can to keep myself busy but not do any real work around the house.  HA!  Most of the US is being blasted by a very cold front, and central NM is so not used to being this cold (with wind chill, weather.com says it's -4*).  The roads are an icy mess.  I live west of the Rio Grande and because of that, I really only have 3 major routes over the river in to Albuquerque.  Most of us here in the great Southwest don't know the first thing about driving at all in snow or ice, so those 3 routes were basically closed this morning (multiple wrecks, general idiots and the like).  I was on my way in and contemplating how I was going to make it to work when my cell rang.  It was my co-worker telling me that the doc said I should just stay home because it's too dangerous.  You don't have to tell me twice!  The only bummer is that it's my co-worker's birthday and I made her a red velvet cake.  I promised her I wouldn't eat it, but I see it staring at me behind me on the table.  I think I'm going to have to find a hiding place for the cake...

Since it's so frackin cold out today, I thought I'd share a great slow cooker comfort food recipe with you.  It may not be *the* healthiest recipe in all the world, but when it's cold outside, who wants food that's *good* for you?  *shudder*  This recipe comes from my slow cooker bible: Fix It and Forget It (if I can find it).  Bring on the meat and potatoes!!

Ground Beef Casserole 
1 1/2 lbs ground beef
6-8 potatoes, sliced
1 medium onion, sliced
14.5 oz can cut green beans with juice
1/2 tsp salt
dash of pepper
10 3/4 oz can cream of mushroom soup

Crumble uncooked ground beef in bottom of slow cooker.  Add potatoes, onion, salt and pepper.  Pour beans over all.  Spread can of mushroom soup over bans.

Cover.  Cook on low 6-8 hours.

Variation: Brown the beef before putting in the slow cooker.  Mix half a soup can of water with the mushroom soup before placing over beans.

NOTES:  I used the variation.  I just couldn't bring myself to put raw hamburger in the bottom of the slow cooker. 


It's not much to look at, but I liked this, and so did the hubs.  I think next time, though, I'll spice up the beef a bit when I cook it and maybe use a roasted garlic cream of mushroom soup. 

Well...I'm off to do...something.  LOL  I have lots of pics to prep for the blog, and I have a giveaway to put together and photograph, too.  Maybe, if you're lucky, you'll get a bonus post from me later today.  Where ever you are, stay warm!  How's the weather in your area today?

6 comments:

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

It's sunny and warm (55 degrees) here in the central valley of California. Haven't tried the recipe yet - I keep forgetting to get extra potatoes. Stay warm!!

Unknown said...

Here it is cold. Clear and cold after a drizzle of snow this morning. A slow cooker dinner would be perfect... If I hadn't only left myself 90 minutes until dinner. Drat!

Recalcitrant Nails said...

WaaaHOOO! I shared the ingredients of this recipe with my partner and he actually thought he'd like it. Gonna give it a try this weekend. BTW, he doesn't like anything that has a vegetable (green beans) waved near the dish - but I have seen him eat the occasional green bean and I think he'll go for this one. I just gotta find non-dairy soup. :)

Mamarazzi said...

mmmm comfort food...YUM!

Myya said...

CrockPot food is soooo yummy!!! I did a roast the other night & it turned out soooo good! I love it when that happens.

Christi said...

I love crockpot dinners. They make meals so easy. I just made crockpot bbq chicken. I'll post the recipe tomorrow. Easy, no brainer, really! I'm your swap partner. Enjoy the little package coming your way!