Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Pancake Perfection

Good morning, Kitschies!!  It's another wonderful day in the neighborhood here at work.  It's super busy and I'm pulling my hair out because I'm being pulled in too many directions and wearing too many hats.  *sigh*  It's nice to be wanted, but this is getting ridiculous!

Enough about that.  Today I'm going to share an awesome pancake recipe with you.  Ever since I got my new waffle iron/pancake griddle, I've been on a quest to find the perfect pancake recipe.  I've tried Canadian Pancakes (they're good but they're kinda a pain in the butt), regular Bisquick pancakes and the Ultimate Melt-In-Your-Mouth pancakes off the Bisquick box.  They're all good, but they're not great.  This recipe, though, *is* great!

Buttermilk Pancakes
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 Tbsp white sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
3 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup milk
3 eggs
1/3 cup butter, melted

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, beat together buttermilk, milk, eggs and melted butter. Keep the two mixtures separate until you are ready to cook. 

Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. You can flick water across the surface and if it beads up and sizzles, it's ready! 

Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture, using a wooden spoon or fork to blend. Stir until it's just blended together. Do not over stir! Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/2 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot. 

These pancakes browned up perfectly!  And they're fluffy, too.  I had no issues whatsoever with these pancakes.  That's the first time I've had great pancakes from the first batch to the last.


Perfectly golden brown.  Nate couldn't stop gushing about these pancakes (and he's the trouble eater in the family)!  The hubs missed out on the first edition of these awesome pancakes so I gave in to the sad puppy dog eyes and made him a batch over the weekend.

I don't usually have buttermilk on hand, but I needed it to make a cake for my co-worker (recipe to follow soon-ish).  Of course I only needed a little bit but had to buy a whole quart.  Now I might just be buying buttermilk on a more regular basis!  Now I'm craving breakfast for dinner.  Ugh!

14 comments:

sara said...

now I really want some pancakes!

Unknown said...

Yum! I make my own version of buttermilk by just souring a cup of milk -- a tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice does the trick. Not sure how much it will change the pancakes though. You could always try this to make your own, too.

Now, on to the real issue here -- how in the world do you ever eat anything else with that awesome waffle/pancake grill around? I would just want to use it all the time. Do both sides convert to a griddle, like it opens up flat? Seriously, I've been searching for a great waffle maker for ages now...

Katrina (Betty Ray) said...

there is nothing quite like a good buttermilk pancake. Yummy!!!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

WOW! Raves from Nate. Guess this recipe will definitely be repeated in your house!

Unknown said...

OMG you just made my hungry :D thanks for the excellent recipe

mir said...

I never met a pancake I didn't like! My kids love 'em... so I'll definitely give it a whirl. Thank you so much! I'd give you my recipe for what I do to 'average' bottle pancake syrup to make it incomprehensible yummy goodness... but I think you were trying to be healthy if memory serves?! So I'll spare you... ;)

Libby's Pink Vanity said...

We've gotten into a pancake kick lately. I love putting frozen blueberries in them. Well, we thaw the frozen berries, that is. I don't use buttermilk for anything but pancakes too.

Tempera said...

Drool!

Mamarazzi said...

mmmmm pancakes...darn you now i want some!!

Unknown said...

Pancakes = Jacksons favorite food =)

KarenD said...

These sound great!

Smiling is Good for Your Teeth said...

ooo yummm!!!! Those sound awesome! Pancakes will be the perfect weekend treat!!

jcohen7523 said...

Aunt Ja kitchy!!! They look delicious!!!

Emmy said...

Those look so good! Do you know you can make your own buttermilk?
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
Ingredients:

* Milk (just under one cup)
* 1 Tablespoon white vinegar or lemon juice

Preparation:

1. Place a Tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice in a liquid measuring cup.

2. Add enough milk to bring the liquid up to the one-cup line.

3. Let stand for five minute. Then, use as much as your recipe calls for.

See easy!