Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Get Your Blood Pumping

This post is a little off-topic.  Bear with me.

Morning, Kitschies!  I was very slow going this morning.  Didn't want to wake up.  Didn't want to get out of bed.  Didn't want to see the boys off this morning.  All I wanted to do was just lay in bed. All. Day. Long.  But, I dragged my bootie outta bed, helped the boys get on their way and then I plopped my bootie in the computer chair in search of something to get me moving.  After just a little bit of searching, I found what I was looking for.

A little background before I show you what got me going.

When I was in junior high and high school, I was a band nerd.  I'll always be a band nerd at heart, I just don't have the time (or the energy) to further my pursuits.  Luckily, though, there are people out there who, despite widespread fine arts cutbacks, love music and marching band more than even I do.  Enter DCIDrum Corps International touts themselves as "Marching Music's Major League".  And rightfully so.  If you've never heard of drum corps before, the best way I can describe it is this: marching band on CRACK!  It's louder.  It's better.  It's everything you wanted your little high school band to sound and look like.  It's louder.  Oh, did I already say that?  I don't think I can watch a live performance like this without it bringing a tear to my eye.  I have a few favorites when it comes to drum corps. The Cavaliers is one of my favorites. Take a look...



It's one thing to see them on video - it still gives me chills - it's a whole other world to see them in person. I was lucky enough to see a DCI Finals in person in 2007, and it was AMAZING!

For the people who thinking marching band isn't a sport, you gotta watch some videos. How many of *those* people can play an instrument (cranked up as loud as it can go), follow the sets AND make it look *this* good? These kids (mostly high school age) dedicate their entire summer (and more) to touring and perfecting their show all for a spot in the Finals in mid-August. And that's not even including the camps and pre-tour schedule. While on tour, these kids breathe, eat and sleep their shows. Interested yet? If you want to see more videos, go to YouTube and search "DCI" - pick any one of those to get a glimpse into the world of drum corps.

If you're interested, DCI tours from June through mid-August all over the country.  Check out their tour schedule to see if they're stopping by a stadium near you (they'll be in Albuquerque on June 21st).  Their shows are family friendly and ticket prices are usually pretty reasonable.  If you can make it, I'd highly recommend seeing one of these shows in person.  It will be an experience you won't soon forget.

6 comments:

sarah said...

so i became a follower yesterday and was looking through a bunch of your posts. gotta say that i love them! but this post just made my whole heart smile! i was a band nerd as well, actually i still am. before i decided to stay home with the little i was an elementary music teacher and still help with several different marching bands. and i just have to share that i marched with phantom regiment in 2002! glad to meet another drum corps fan!

Debra Hawkins said...

So I have to admit, I am actually wearing a Santa Clara Vanguard t-shirt right now. My brother is a huge Cavaliers fan, we were able to catch a competition a couple of years ago. It was a blast and so entertaining!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

GO DCI!!!!!

Myya said...

Playing an instrument & walking at the same time... totally a sport! That is awesome!!

KarenD said...

I met my husband thanks to marching band. :) Way back when, my mom & I would got to see drum corps competitions together but I haven't been to any in years. I should look at changing that.

Recalcitrant Nails said...

LOVE IT! Welcome to your thursday. LOL