Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Anything But FAIL

Good evening, Kitschies!  It's Tuesday.  Right?  Yep.  Still Tuesday.  It feels like days ago since I got up this morning.  It was a busy day at work.  For me, anyway.  I spent a good couple hours working on the EMR program and 5:00 came *just* before my head exploded, so that was good. 

Now I'm home and I decided to do my nails (shocking, I know) and I've had nothing but failures.  I've attempted a purple gradient and a red/glitter funky french and they were both big FAT fails.  I finally decided to quit attempting to do something cool and went with a safe choice (Nubar Raspberry Truffle).  And to make sure that the fails of the night don't get me down, I'm sharing two manis that are anything but fails.

To celebrate the New Year, we had our besties over for dinner and games.  We used to do this a lot more often when we only had one kid a piece.  We try to get together at least once a month and when we do, either Wendi does my makeup or I do her nails.  This time I did her nails.  She knew exactly what she wanted and, of course, I had the colors we needed to pull it off. 

I started with the Color Club Electro Candy collection: Electro Candy (neon pink with turquoise flash), Pure Energy (neon blue with green flash), Ultra Violet (neon purple with blue flash), Volt of Light (highlighter yellow with blue-ish green flash), Tangerine Scream (neon orange with white flash), and What A Shock! (neon green with blue flash).

I paired the blue and purple together, pink and orange and yellow and green.  I overlapped each of the colors so they looked like they blended in.  Then I grabbed the black acrylic paint and striped each nail with zebra stripes.  How awesomely 80s is this?!

I'm still learning to take good pics with the new camera.  I've got taking my own pics down, but taking pics of somebody else's nails is a little more tricky.  In other words: sorry that pic is so blurry.

We realized later that the blue and purple nails match her awesome purple and turquoise ring.  WIN!!  I was so inspired by the way Wendi's nails turned out, I did my own nails similar to this the following week.
 
Instead of pairing up all six colors, I decided to just use the pink and orange.  I love it!!  These pics were taken indoors with flash.  I did this on a Thursday night and didn't take it off til tonight (that's 5 whole days)!
 It's kinda hard to see on the nails, but you can see in the bottle that both of these colors had a great flash/shimmer.  I know I've previously stated that I hate neon, but this collection has changed my mind.  I don't like the satin finish, but a coat of top coat fixes that!
This is indoors in indirect light, no flash.  The neon colors show up best when it's not in bright direct sunlight.  Its awesome in the dim first light of morning.

Indoors in more direct, bright sunlight.  The wear on this was much better than expected - especially since it's a neon.  Today I had a little bit of tip wear, but I did have a chunk pop out of the middle of my index finger.  I got tons of compliments about this mani.  It's so fun, so bright and so NOT winter.  LOL

I'm tired.  My hands are cold.  I have a headache.  I think it's about time to call it a night.  What do you think of my neon rainbow zebras?  They're definitely a horse of a different color.

24 comments:

Stephanie Merlin said...

I absolutely positively adore those neon rainbow zebra nails! You did an awesome job! Will you do mine like that? It's nice to see some bright color in the midst of winter. I'm ready for spring and summer polish!

shortmama said...

That is so totally 80s and awesome!

Unknown said...

Hello 1980's I've missed you so! I actually like the colors. Totally reminds me of a wind breaker I had when I was a kid.

Robyn said...

The pink and orange is my favourite, it looks great as a whole mani :D

Unknown said...

But me I love the multi colours ones!!
They're all gorgeous!!!

Tempera said...

Love these very cheerful, awesome design.

Emily said...

In LOVE with both of these.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Love the mani!! You are so talented.

-Diana- said...

I love it so bright it totally cheers me up :)

Brooke said...

I love both of those looks! Very cool :) I hate when none of my manis work! Hopefully you will get another chance tonight to come up with something wonderful. Hope you have a great day - hugs!

Danielle said...

so awesome :) makes me want winter to go away and spring and summer to start already!

nail crazy said...

crazy nails girl!!!
I bet you didn't go unnoticed :-)

Debra Hawkins said...

I really love this mani! I think even me, who is really chip prone would try to keep it looking nice. :)

KarenD said...

Love these!

Unknown said...

Super cute, what a fun manicure! :)

cathryn said...

OMG i looooove these!! definitely a WiN!

Unknown said...

Ooh, I love it!

Libby's Pink Vanity said...

OMG!!! I love it! Retro that '80's look. I'm so gonna copy this one. You are doing great with the photos too.

Copyboy said...

You look like you are right out of the show Square Pegs. Bet you don't know who starred in it.

Mamarazzi said...

i love love love the neon zebra...so cute!!

Lady Flower said...

This colourful is amazing.
nice job <3

Unknown said...

I love it, it's fab !

ABOP Laquerlove said...

These are cool! I really like the look on you with just two colors.

Myya said...

I love both!!! Oh my gosh how fun & funky! :)