Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Start of Something Better

Good morning, Kitschies!  I woke up a little late this morning and hit the ground running.  I managed to make it to work with a little time to spare which gave me some uninterrupted time to work on a form for one of the docs!  It's been a pretty productive morning.  AND...the mail just came bearing pretty gifts for me.  Not a bad day so far.

I don't know if I mentioned it here on my blog, but I have a plan (not a resolution because I don't *do* resolutions) to better myself: mind, body and spirit this year.  Part of that means eating better and eating less.  Less what?  Junk, carbs, food in general.  But you wouldn't know it from my food posts since Christmas (cherry pie, monkey bread, macaroons and the like).  Would you believe that I made all of that (and more) between Thanksgiving and New Years?  *sigh*  As a result, my waistline expanded - and not in a cute "I'm pregnant" kind of way.  LOL  So, I'm going to make a conscious effort to bring more nutritious food to the table.  Don't get me wrong...there will be an occasional cookie or cake, but not near as many as I've posted over the last couple of months.

This brings me to today's recipe.  I remember my mom making this for us when I was growing up and I loved it.  When I make it, we end up eating at least half of it - and that's before the kids get in to it.   I got this recipe off the back of the Bisquick box, but Betty Crocker online has a bunch of variations of this tried and true recipe.


Impossibly Easy Cheeseburger Pie
1 lb lean ground beef
1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup Original Bisquick mix
1 cup milk
2 eggs

Heat oven to 400°F. Spray 9-inch glass pie plate with cooking spray.

In 10-inch skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is brown; drain. Stir in salt. Spread in pie plate. Sprinkle with cheese.

In small bowl, stir remaining ingredients with fork or wire whisk until blended. Pour into pie plate.

Bake about 25 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.

NOTES:  I don't use a whole onion.  I did once and it was WAY too onion-y for me.  

I consider this kinda healthy.  It all depends on your ingredient choices.  Use lean ground beef (93/7), 2% milk and reduced fat Bisquick.  

Everybody in the pool!  Or...if you want to fatten this up a bit, you could always add crumbled, cooked bacon.  Cuz everything's better with bacon, right?  Right.

Toasty!  The cheese came out perfectly golden this time.  I usually end up with crispy cheese - especially around the edges.  

Serve with some steamed veggies and you've got a pretty good meal!  One that my kids will eat, too.  Seeing this pics makes me wish I had this for lunch today.

If you have any "healthy" recipes or any vegan recipes, I'd love to give them a try!  You can drop me a line through my email: megharmeyer at gmail dot com.  Or, if there's a good recipe/foodie blog you think I'd like, please leave me the link! 

12 comments:

Recalcitrant Nails said...

Excellent looking recipe. I don't do dairy any longer so booo for me (I have an intolerance, not a lactose intolerance, just an intolerance overall). but I'm wondering if I can make a few adjustments with almond milk and get the same recipe? Yummy....have I ever given you my bisquick chicken and dumplings recipe? Easy and good for you and comfort food.

sara said...

Holy bananas! My mom made us this too!! I thought she made it up, no one else has ever know what is was. It's one of the very few meat things that I "miss". I remember it being very tasty.

The Preppy Student said...

This looks fantastic.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

I haven't made the recipe in years. Maybe it's time to dust off the cobwebs and make it again - lol!

Danielle said...

Mmmm, your recipes always make me super hungry when I'm at work!

Unknown said...

Yum! And there is something unnatural about those people whose waistlines DON'T expand between Thanksgiving and New Year's. :)

Emmy said...

My grandma always used to make this. I just bought some ground beef, I might have to make it tonight :) Thanks for the idea

Mamarazzi said...

this is one of our favorites. it is also one of our Cooking with Jordan recipes and something she can make without help...love when she makes dinner.

A Beer for the Shower said...

Recipe looks great! I love to cook, and I'll tell you what, most recipes call for 1 whole onion but I never use the whole thing. I don't know how people can do that.

Also, sounds like you've got the right mindset for improving your life. Mind and spirit are just as important as body.

All 3 of which can be improved with a good beer, btw...

Copyboy said...

OMG! OMG! I remember when I was a kid begging my mom to make me that! Wow! Your recipe looks delicious. Hope you don't mind, but I took an imaginary bite. Yum.

nail crazy said...

i'll try this, looks nice :-)
but sorry to disapointed you, beef is not considered as a healty food :-p
if you're looking for healty try just swap beef with a turkey :-D

Myya said...

I've had this before & it is pretty yummy.