Monday, January 10, 2011

Monday Monkey

Love Candy Cute Monkey Images

Yep.  Two posts in one day.  How lucky are you?!  LOL  Really, I had to make up for the lack of post on Friday and I had to get out the word for Mamarazzi's Pinktastic Swaptastic.  Now I have a yummy recipe to share.

For as long as I can remember, my mom made this awesome breakfast treat for Christmas and New Years morning.  My boys, on occasion, can be picky eaters, but not with this!!  This is one of my favorite breakfast recipes.

Breakfast Monkey Bread
3 (12 oz) packages refrigerated biscuit dough
1 cup white sugar
2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup (1 cube) butter
1 cup packed brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350*.  Grease one 9- or 10-inch Bundt pan.

Mix the cinnamon and sugar together in a bowl and set aside.  Cut each biscuit in to quarters.  Turn biscuit pieces in the cinnamon and sugar mixture until covered.  Toss biscuit pieces in to the Bundt pan.  Shake the remaining cinnamon and sugar mixture over the biscuits.

In a small saucepan, melt butter and brown sugar over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.  Bring to boil and let boil for a minute or two, stirring constantly.  Pour mixture evenly over biscuits in the Bundt pan. 

Bake at 350* for 30-35 minutes.  Remove from oven and immediately overturn pan on to serving platter. 

NOTES:  I don't know if it's the altitude, but my batches never turn out as good as my Mom's.  There's never as much caramel sauce.  Next time, I think I'm going to increase the brown sugar and butter by half.


When working with the canned biscuits, it's easier to work with one can at a time.  If you take the other out too early, they begin to rise and it makes it harder to cut the dough in to quarters.


Mmmmm!  Cinnamon and sugar goodness!  Normally I would never let my boys have so much sugar for breakfast (or in general, really), but this is too good to pass up.  Besides, we don't have this all that often, so once or twice a year doesn't make me a bad Mom.  Really, it doesn't.


See what I mean about the caramel?  There should be more!!  I'm definitely increasing the brown sugar and butter next time!


YUM!!  I want some of this now!  But I'm being a good girl.  I think this lasted about 2 days in our house.  It's the one breakfast thing that Nate will actually *ask* for.  LOL

One more thing!  Today is a very special day - it's my hubs birthday!!  The stinker is taking the week off and getting some (much deserved) alone time in.  So, happy birthday, my dear hubs.  I hope you enjoy the quiet this week!


Have a great rest of your Monday.  Now I'm hungry.  Hmmm...wonder what the office fridge has to offer...

12 comments:

Debra Hawkins said...

We make something similar but I want to try yours! Looks delicious. Happy Birthday to your Hubby!

Unknown said...

YUM!!!!!

Ive wanted to make this forever but I didnt know you could do it with biscuits!!!! Im so excited.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Interesting about the caramel. It must be an altitude thing is the only thing I can figure. Adding more certainly can't hurt.

Recalcitrant Nails said...

Love every version of this I've ever tasted. Yummm. Our new years tradition from long before my time, is corn bread, black eyed peas and salt pork...a southern tradition to bring prosperity to the new year. I've eaten this almost every new years day since I've been eating solids. I missed last year and had the worst year in a very long time....so I'm holding this as a good tradition and here's hoping to prosperity in your Monkey Bread tradition....eeek eeeek! (monkey noise, lol)

Copyboy said...

I'm monkey for what's in your fridge. Ok, that's dirty. Still I want that bread!!

sara said...

We make almost the same thing, just without the brown sugar. We may have to try that! Pie had it for the first time on Christmas...I didn't think those huge eyes could get any bigger!

Happy birthday hubs!!

Lindsey said...

I love monkey bread!!! That looks so good.

KarenD said...

That does look good!

shortmama said...

This looks so good!

Mamarazzi said...

so so so sooooo YUM!!

i think i will try it with the Splenda sugars. i had really good luck using the Splenda brown sugar and regular Splenda making apple pie this winter so i bet it would work...i will take my calories in BUTTAH! mmmm

ABOP Laquerlove said...

Oh, nom nom - I didn't get enough sleep last night so I'm seriously craving sugar and fat today. This is not helping! *drool*

Myya said...

I've heard quite a few of my friends talk about monkey bread but I've never actually tried it. Happy Birthday to your hubs...although I am late in reading so I prob should say happy belated lol