Monday, January 24, 2011

The People Have Spoken

So...it looks like most everybody was cool with the idea of themed days.  Thank you to everybody who commented.  I'll give it a try.  If I end up not liking the way it's going, I'll just go back to what I was doing.  If, after I start this, you want to see more of something specifically, please let me know!!

Welcome to the first Mani Monday!  Let's see what I have for you today...

A couple weeks ago, I was aching to do a water marble.  I was going to try a light and dark pink marble, but I wasn't happy with the color combination, so it went no farther than the two bottles sitting side-by-side on my Helmer.  Then the hubs suggested black and white.  It's a classic color pairing, so why not!  To throw a little bit of spice in the mix, I grabbed a bottle of red, just for fun.

I started off with a base coat of Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in White On and then marbled the White On with Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure in Midnight in NY.  For the red, I used Finger Paints Primary Color.  I was a little disappointed the black didn't come out more opaque on the red, but overall, I like how this turned out.  This was my right hand.

And the left hand.  This picture was taken after the second day of wear.  It did pretty good considering we went sledding that first day!  Don't ask me what that pink/purple spot is on my middle finger cuz I have no clue!

The thumbs.  Why is it that my favorite designs of a marble tend to be on my thumbs?  Larger canvas?  Who knows.  Oh, and I really liked both index fingers, too.  Really, there wasn't a finger I didn't like this time around. 

I have come to really like doing water marbles.  Do you have a suggestion of two colors to pair together?  I always come to a road block when trying to pair colors.  It always looks good in my mind, but once I get it going, it's not what I pictured.  Don't you hate it when you have these grand plans in your head but then it just doesn't come out right, no matter what you do?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi there! this water marble looks beyond cool i love the idea of the red accent nail. as far as color combos.. my next attempt is going to involve black and pink. but i'm afraid it won't come out the way i have it planned in my head lol

mir said...

Megan? Wat's that pink/purple spot on your middle finger??? (Sorry, I had to!) AHAHAHA The marble looks good on ya'! Colette over at http://mysimplelittlepleasures.blogspot.com/ has a ton of color combos. I sort-of consider her to be the Marbling Goddess. Were I to try (I've not been so bold, but it does look like good fun, eh?), I'd likely snag one of her tried and true combinations (she's had some green/blues that were really fetching).

Silence is Loud said...

OMG, that looks cool!!! Ive never done a marble nail art before and would love to try it! i really like the design on the left hand thumb.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

How about a yellow and black or a red and white for Valentines day.

Unknown said...

You totally should have put the red on the middle finger! That way it will stand out better if you flip someone off while you are driving! Oh, and what is that pink dot on your finger? Were you keeping count?

cathryn said...

NOT maroon and orange. good idea in theory.. Virginia tech. school colors in reality lolol. nothing against VT.. i just dont go there, live near it, or know anyone who does attend xD

im such a kid i love pinks & yellows together. maybe some springy combos?

sara said...

Very cool. And hubs was right...it's a classic.

For combos, what about pink and gray or a pretty teal/aqua with brown. I dig those combos IRL so maybe they would work :)

nail crazy said...

wow, it looks just great, i love it :-)

Katrina (Betty Ray) said...

How cool is that!! You are fab at doing your own nails and I'm jealous. :) The red accent nail really brings it home.

I'd love to see a purple and silver grey. :)

Myya said...

I love black, white & red together. You definitely can't ever go wrong with that combo!

shortmama said...

Great color combo! Very pretty!

KarenD said...

So much fun--love the accent nail! Maybe I'll finally get around to trying water marbling next time Mr. K goes out of town (he's not into me fuming up the house with my polish).