Thursday, January 20, 2011

How Meh Turned To ROCK ON!

Good afternoon, Kitschies!  It's day 2 without my co-worker and while it's been busy, it hasn't been insane.  Yesterday afternoon was pretty slammin', but today is a bit more mellow, which is good because I have a bunch of stuff to get caught up on.  Overall, though, it's just been kind of a meh day.  Until I went out for a little errand at lunch.  Read on to see why. 

I was going to make cookies tonight, but I went to Dollar Tree at lunch and found some awesome finds!  Wanna know what I found?  I found this:
(I borrowed this pic from The Shoe Dish)

And then in my frantic searching, I also found this:
(I borrowed this pic from Scrangie)

Win #1: They came in the same pack - for a BUCK!  Win #2: They had multiple packs.  Win #3: I grabbed one for my bestie!  I haven't had that great luck at Dollar Tree in quite a while!  I was planning on leaving the mani I'm wearing now til the weekend, but since I found the crackle polish, that's not gonna happen.

OK.  Back to business.  I hope you don't mind my combo post - I was just too excited to not mention my find to you.  

Waaaaaay back....in 2004...I found this little digest cookbook (Low-Carb Recipes) at a register at the grocery store.  I'm a sucker for cookbooks, and we were trying to eat healthy (this is a thing we've struggled with on and off forever), so I grabbed it.  I've made a couple recipes out of it, but this is the one we make the most.  Well, I make the most. 

Chicken Salad
1/4 cup mayo
1/4 cup sour cream
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp grated lemon peel
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 to 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
2 cups dicked cooked chicken
1 cup sliced celery
1/4 cup sliced green onions
lettuce leaves
crumbled bleu cheese (optional)

Combine mayo, sour cream, lemon juice, sugar, lemon peel, mustard, salt and pepper in a large bowl.  

Add chicken, celery and green onions; stir to combine.  Cover; refrigerate at least 1 hour to allow flavors to blend.

Serve salad on lettuce-lined plate.  Sprinkle with bleu cheese, if desired.  Makes 4 servings.

NOTES:  I usually use light (or reduced fat) mayo and sour cream and I don't taste the difference.  I've never had it with bleu cheese, but I bet it's good!

I forgot to add the sugar in the picture.  Oh, and the lemon.  Sheesh!!  To "grate" the lemon, I use a microplaner and it makes the zest super fine.  I probably would've never bought it for myself, but one of my aunts gave it to me on a lark when we were camping.

Sorry it's not the best picture, but you get the idea.  I have this either as a sammich or just in a bowl plain.  Either way, this chicken salad is the best recipe I've found.  According to the cookbook, it only has 4 grams of carbs per serving. 

So, you know what I'll be doing tonight!  Painting my nails with a bright color topped with my awesome crackle polish (and hoping it works since I have no idea how old it is) and watching Grey's Anatomy.  Sounds like a good night to me!  And how sad is it that finding an old polish for (basically) 50-cents makes my day?

9 comments:

Wendi_ThroatPunch said...

Like I said...BEST best friend in the whole entire world.

Debra Hawkins said...

Sweet! Love the crackle polish! It is always the little things that make the world brighter. :)

The Preppy Student said...

OMG THATS THE COOLEST CRACKLE POLISH!

cathryn said...

i went nutso at the dollar tree yesterday too! i didnt see that set but i found lots of others that pale in comparison haha. congrats on uncovering some gems!!

Copyboy said...

Man you've turned me into a nail and food person. Kinda weird when I write that out loud. Um you know what I mean.

Libby's Pink Vanity said...

OMG! OMG!!! I have to go back to haunting DT! If I would have been you, I would have called work and said 'I feel sick. I'm going home.' And then would have went home to polish!!! ;)

Oh, gemme some of that chicken salad!!! I love that! Do you think it would have tasted OK with purple grapes?

KimberlyP said...

Cranberries would be good as well! This might take away that it's low-carb but maybe walnuts or almond slivers. But, it sounds darn good just as is.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

I realized I forgot to leave a comment when I read your post last night. I can't wait to see your creations with your new finds!! I will leave the eating of the chicken salad to you.

nail crazy said...

that crackle looks awesome :-)