Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Good Food. Bad Morning.

Good evening, Kitschies!  We've survived the first half of the first whole work week of work.  *whew*  It was one of *those* days for me.  It started that way soon after I got in the shower (thanks for sharing the hot water with me, dear hubs), followed me out the door (I forgot my scrub jacket and had to drive back home - an extra 20 minutes added on to my already long commute), down the road (the intersection near the clinic was closed due to ice) and in to the freakin office (the phone lines were dead and it affected the alarm).  This all happened before 9 in the morning!  I was ready to just go back home and go to bed.  The day did get better, but I was sure I was done for. 

I'm apologizing in advance because I only have one picture for each of these recipes.  I made these things for my bestie's birthday back in October (yes, I'm just getting to it now) and I was a little more preoccupied with the festivities than taking pictures of the food.  So shoot me.  LOL 

The first recipe came from my hubs.  I have no idea where he got it, but he made this for us on our first Valentines' Day in our first apartment together.  That was a LONG time ago now.  We make this from time to time and it's great!  It has to sit overnight, so be sure to allow enough time.

Border Fajitas
12 oz beef skirt steak
1/4 tsp lemon pepper
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1/4 cup crushed pineapple
3 tsp liquid smoke
3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 oz tomato sauce
8 oz beer
1/2 cup sliced onions (in rings)
9 warm flour tortillas

Wrap steak in plastic wrap and pound to tenderize.  Rub with lemon pepper and garlic powder.  Sprinkle liberally with soy sauce.  Combine pineapple juice, crushed pineapple, liquid smoke, Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce and beer.  Pour over steak.  Cover and chill for 4-24 hours.  Remove steak from marinade.  Cute into thin strips.  Place in to a stainless steel skillet.  Cover with sliced onions.  Cook until meat is no longer pink.  Serve hot, with warm tortillas on the side.

NOTES:  I don't know what beer we use - it's whatever we have at the time.  I usually cut the steak in to strips *before* I put it in the marinade.  It's a lot less messy that way.  We always throw in some red and green bell pepper while it's cooking.


And you can't have fajitas without guacamole, right?  I've tried a few guac recipes here and there and I like this one the best.

Guacamole
3 avocados - peeled, pitted and mashed
1 lime, juiced
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup diced onion
3 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
2 Roma (plum) tomatoes, diced
1 tsp minced garlic
1 pinch ground cayenne pepper (optional)

In a medium bowl, mash together the avocados, lime juice, and salt. Mix in onion, cilantro, tomatoes, and garlic. Stir in cayenne pepper. Refrigerate 1 hour for best flavor, or serve immediately. 

NOTES:  I don't put quite 3 Tbsp cilantro in because I don't care too much for cilantro.  The first time I made this, we didn't have any fresh tomatoes, but we did have canned diced tomatoes.  Worked like a charm (and it was easier to do!).  


I read somewhere that if you keep the pit of the avocado in the dip, it keeps it from turning brown.  No foolin'!  This picture was taken the next day - no brown to be found!  Ah...I crack myself up.


Anyway, I apologize for the craptastic pictures.  It's all about priorities, right?  So...I'm off to watch the season premier of Parenthood (gotta get my Peter Krause fix).

9 comments:

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

The fajitas look quite tasty but you can keep the green slimy mushy stuff.

I hope your day is better tomorrow!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

I forgot to say that I like the new look of your blog!!

Mamarazzi said...

you kill me with your cooking goodness. i always leave your blog hungry or wishing i had cute fingernails!!

Danielle said...

Yummers, both look delicious, and how sweet of him to cook for you on your first Valentines day together :)

I know what you mean about those days that just seem to keep getting worse, they eventually do get better though :)

Unknown said...

Sorry for your shatty day :( But that guac looks SO GOOD! Im slightly addicted to it.

Unknown said...

That guacamole sounds AMAZING. I have been on a guac kick lately, and I LOVE cilantro, so it sounds perfect for me :)

shortmama said...

Ick what a day! Hope today was better!

SilhouetteScreams said...

Sorry you had such a poo day. The food looks noms though!

Myya said...

Uggghhhh I hate mornings like that! Yum on the fajitas & guac, some of my very favorites ever!