Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Big Red Monster

Hey, Kitchies!  Isn't it amazing how life gets in the way of the best laid plans?  Here it is already Tuesday and my brain is still stuck on the weekend.  To tell you the truth, I barely remember Monday.  Geeze!!  Or maybe my brain has already skipped ahead to Wednesday because the hubs and I are going to a baseball game after work.  Either way, I'm already tired.  LOL

I have a beautiful but pain in the butt polish to share with you today.  I have yet to see Studio M in New Mexico and I just happened to read Emily's blog one day where she mentioned Meijer.  I got all excited and asked if she minded picking up a couple polishes for me and she said she would.  How awesome is that?!

This is Barry M Slamming Red.  It's a really, really pretty polish in the bottle: red base with holo glitter.

This polish is so pretty - these pics do not do it justice.  But.  And this is a *big* but...the formula was THE SUCK!  Thick.  Gloppy.  Nightmare.  And the finish isn't that great, either.  It's super bumpy and eats top coat.  However, like I mentioned in THIS post, sometimes top coat-eating polish is something I can overlook because it's so pretty.  This isn't really one of those polishes.   

I wore this polish to a kid's birthday party - it was a hit.  It's so sparkly under artificial light.  The wear wasn't all that great - maybe two days.  I think part of the problem was that it's so thick!  I tried to drop a little Zoya Renew in there, but it didn't do much (no fault of Renew). 

The blurry pic gives you some hint of how pretty this polish can really be.  I know I haven't worn this polish since (and I wore it back in April.  APRIL!) and I can honestly say that I'm not sure if I'm going to wear it again.  If I do, I might use it as a pedi color.  As with most chunky glitter polishes, this was also a pain in the butt to remove.  I had to resort to the foil method to remove all the chunkiness.

I don't mean for this post to be so negative, but it's hard to say completely positive things about a polish with so many faults.  With all that said, I do like this polish, I just wish it were...different...better.  Is that so wrong?

Don't forget!!  You have until 7/20 to enter my Summer Giveaway!  Check it out HERE.

7 comments:

Janette @ The Johanson Journey said...

I bought a polish that does that same thing... and it ends up drying all thick and then chips off.. and the glitter is so dang hard to get off when you try to get it off the nails that survived the chips! hah
I appreciate your honesty.. don't apologize! :) I thought it was Wednesday.. long week already!! AGH!

loodie loodie loodie said...

LOL at "the suck"

I totally understand the love AND negativity. It's absolutely gorgeous. I am starting to really favor scatter holo's since they give me gorgeous sparkle like this without the nitty gritty SUCK.

Impulsive Addict said...

But it's soooo pretty in this post! I will say that every time I wear glitter, I kick myself. I HATE taking it off. What a pain in my azz. I hate that it was so thick and yucky. Only 2 days huh? Well, I guess I won't go out and get it then. =(

Myya said...

Sometimes pretty just isn't worth it! Totally reminds me of Dorothy's Ruby Red Slippers :)

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

I could actually see the roughness of the polish in one of your photos. Very pretty color but I wouldn't like the finish.

Unknown said...

gorgeous polish! have never seen this one before :)

shelxx

SilhouetteScreams said...

That's so disappointing about the formula, because this is honestly one of the prettiest polishes I've seen in ages!