Thursday, July 21, 2011

Perfect for a Picnic

Good morning, Kitschies!  I'm at home with Thing 2 today - again.  We got a call from daycare yesterday that he had a fever (over 102*).  He slept away the afternoon yesterday and his fever came down.  He got up this morning and the fever was back (between 102 and 103*), so we're home.  He's not excessively bothered by the fever - not lethargic, not overly whiny or clingy, just has a fever.  And I hope it stays that way (the not being bothered part, not the fever).  So, while he's snacking on a granola bar and (sorta) watching Sesame Street, I thought I'd put together a post for you.

This is a family recipe that I've loved *forever*.  My aunts put together a family cookbook for Christmas one year (as I've mentioned before) and I was so happy to see this recipe in there!  The only drawback?  It's a family recipe, so the measurements aren't exact, but I know how it's supposed to taste, so that's good enough for me.

Momma's Macaroni Salad

Cook 1 pound package of salad macaroni (I use Ditalini) according to instructions on package.  Drain and rinse.

To cooled macaroni, add:
About 1 cup chopped celery
About 1/2 cup chopped sweet pickle
1 large jar diced pimento (4 oz)
1 large can sliced green olives, drained

Mix together then add to the macaroni:
1-2 to 1 cup mayonnaise
2 Tbsp cider vinegar
1-2 Tbsp sweet pickle juice
salt to taste

Adjust salt and vinegar to taste.  Refrigerate to marry flavors.

NOTES:  I don't usually make the full recipe, it's halves easily.  This salad is best if it sits overnight. 

Gather all your ingredients.  Be sure to not get minced green olives - doesn't give the same flavor.  I don't know why, it just doesn't.

YUM!  My hubs doesn't care for this recipe much, neither does my mom, but I love it and so does my dad.  I try to make this every time my parents come to visit.  And it makes a lot (if you use the full recipe), so it's great for parties.

Gah!  Now I'm wanting some of this.  This is one of my favorite family recipes.  And one of my favorite Summer recipes.  Good thing I'm going grocery shopping later this morning!!

As always, please let me know if you use any of my recipes and whether or not you liked it.  I love hearing when people use a recipe I've posted. 

Have a good Thursday!  Hope you're not melting in the heat.  It's been warmer than usual here - upper 90s AND it's been more humid, too.  We finally got some rain last night (that shut us out of the baseball game) so while it's a bit cooler this morning, it's more humid.  Yuck!

4 comments:

Wendi_ThroatPunch said...

Best pasta salad.ever.

Poor Mason!

Copyboy said...

Not a big fan of olives, but it does sound creamy delicious!!!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Poor little baby. I hope he feels better soon and doesn't spread this around like he did the stomach bug. Isn't day care fun?

-Diana- said...

Looks so yummie :)